So this old blog post from last year has been making the internet rounds again. It’s full of sage (*choke*) advice on what people over 30 shouldn’t wear, written by a barely 20 something (if she’s even 20!) When I first read the post I struggled, my instinct was to get mad but then, really, I felt sort of sorry for the author. Guess what, one day she’s going to be 30 (and eventually 40!), and she’s going to hate herself.
Honey, life is too short for that! Life is too short and too precious to live your life according to what someone else thinks you should do!
I decided not to link to the article because not only was it condescending, but it was just plain mean-spirited. I’m sure you can find it if you search the interwebs, but don’t blame me if you want to scream when you read it. You know, it’s brilliant in a way, driving tons of traffic (money!) her way. Good for her!
That doesn’t mean the post is right or kind.
With that said, here is my list of 8 things women
over 30 *of any age absolutely should wear:
1. Wear what makes you feel comfortable. Whether you favor Crocs or stilettos, if it fits your groove you need to wear it.
2. Wear what makes you feel pretty. I know a 48 year old who wears little lacy unmentionables every day. Why? Because she likes them. Wear that bikini. Wear that little black dress or that mini skirt. Wear what makes you say “damn girl!”
3. Wear what makes you proud. Yes, you should absolutely wear that hospital fundraiser marathon t-shirt even if it is tight-fitting. Those paint-stained Pink (the store, not necessarily the color) sweatpants that you wear when you volunteer? Rock them!
4. Wear what makes you smile. I have several graphic tees that make me smile so yes, I dare to put my 39 year old self in them. And you know what? Sometimes I even wear them with yoga pants despite the fact that I have given birth 5 times. The world hasn’t stopped turning yet.
5. Wear the brands you love. Who cares if the person in front of you in the check-out lane is 15 or 85? Wear the brands that speak to you!
6. Wear your hair long. Or short. Or shaved off. Natural. Or dyed. Whatever you want, it’s your hair. While we’re at it, I didn’t see an age label on that hot red lipstick.
7. Wear what makes you feel strong. Some women go for power suits, some for running gear. What you wear has a huge impact on how you feel about yourself, even if you’ve crossed the threshold of 30. We’ve worked hard to get where we are, we’ve survived a lot, we are powerful creatures.
8.Wear the clothes that fit your lifestyle. It’s hot where I live and the thought of wearing sleeves that hit my elbow makes me want to cry, no thank you! I promise with all of my heart that there really is no reason to be offended by seeing my old arms. My arms have comforted the dying, welcomed new life into the world, and helped turtles safely cross the road. I am not ashamed of my arms.
What it comes down to is this: when you spend time worrying about how someone else looks you’re taking away from your own happiness. Many young people may not understand this concept yet, but age makes us wiser (and hopefully kinder.)