I recently scored a great deal on frozen tortellini and ended up with four bags. I scoured the internet for a long time trying to find an easy slow cooker tortellini soup recipe and they all looked great…except they all called for cream cheese and I didn’t want to run to run to the store just for that!
I figured that I make a really good Italian Wedding Soup, which would make a great base for a tortellini soup! And wow is this soup ever delicious!!
For a printer-friendly recipe please click the green print icon at the bottom of the page
Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup – Serves 8
-6 Italian sausage links
-1 Tbsp butter
-1/2 large onion, chopped
-3 cloves garlic, minced
-6 cups chicken broth
-1 cup water (you may omit if you like thicker soup)
-28 oz canned diced tomatoes, undrained
-6 oz fresh spinach
-salt and pepper to taste
-red pepper flakes to taste
-1 bag frozen tortellini
-shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
1. Cut the sausage into pieces as shown in the picture below:
2. In a skillet brown the sausage in a wee bit of oil or water. Drain and remove sausage to the slow cooker. Add butter to the skillet and saute the onions and garlic for about 3 minutes, add to the slow cooker. (Optional: Add 1 cup of chicken stock to the skillet and as it heats scrape up all the juicy bits and add it all to the slow cooker)
3. To the slow cooker add the chicken broth, diced tomatoes, and water.
4. Roughly chop the spinach as shown below, add to slow cooker. Add salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
5. Cook on high for 4 hours, or low for 6-8 hours. 30 minutes before serving add the frozen tortellini. Serve topped with Parmesan.
*Yes, this can easily be made on the stove
*I used mild turkey Italian sausage links, but you can use any kind
*You can use crumbled pork sausage instead of linked sausage if you want
*Frozen spinach is so much cheaper, and you can use it! Just toss it in when you toss in the tortellini!