You know the old adage that the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach? Well, nothing screams love like chocolate! And nothing screams “I LOVE CHOCOLATE” more than peppermint! It’s a match made in heaven, true story.
(and let’s face it men: women + chocolate = HELLO!!!)
This year why not show your sweetheart how much you love them by whipping up a peppermint brownie cake?
It’s brownies. It’s cake. What’s not to love?
Peppermint Brownie Cake (recipe perfected by Cate, my 17 year old)
-2 boxes of brownie mix
-eggs, oil, everything else needed to prepare brownies
-4 tsp peppermint extract
-24 round, hard peppermint candies
-1 tub chocolate frosting
1. Crush peppermint candies. Preheat oven according to brownie directions/recipe.
2. Prepare brownies according to package directions/recipe. Add 4 tsp of peppermint extract and mix well. Pour the batter into a greased cake pan.
3. Bake the brownies according to package directions, adding 15 minutes to the bake time. You may need up to an extra 30 minutes of baking time. The brownie cake is done when a fork inserted into the middle comes out clean.
4. Allow the cake to cool and frost. Top the cake with the crushed peppermint candies.
5. Fall in love all over again.
THINGS TO KNOW:
YES, you can use homemade brownie mix and frosting, just don’t forget to double the brownie recipe.
YES, you can use food-grade peppermint essential oil instead of peppermint extract. Use 4 drops, mix well and taste, adding more if you desire.
YES, you can use those leftover candy canes instead of peppermint candies.
NO, the amount of candies used isn’t exact. If you want a lot of peppermint use more, and vice versa.
Cate says “This recipe is good but I like it best when prepared with dark chocolate brownie mix and milk chocolate frosting.”